Saturday, September 19, 2009

Why do I teach?...Why do you teach?

Does that title sound aggressive enough? <Laughing> No, that was not to ruffle any feathers, but that question has been in my mind a lot lately and you know what, I don't stumble or hesitate with my answer.

My goal in life was to always 'help' people, whether it was through researching the latest biomedical therapies for Alzheimer's disease, kicking down doors to arrest the man responsible for beating his wife, or what I have found to be the root of a lot of the problems facing today's society; children (our students) not having consistent role models. Teacher's make a great impact on students and it can be either positive or negative, and they have a lot of time to make that impact. Teacher's spend approximately 7 to 8 hours with there students, I would say we spend the same, if not more awake time with our students than their parents spend with them. So I would say that it is a piece of our responsibility to help create productive, respectable adults out of these young men and women.

I think that it's time for our teachers to stop taking things so personal. And not necessarily with the kids, I have seen some of the best teacher's in a lot students lives leave schools because of a personal issue with another teacher or an administrator...SELFISH! Just as a reminder we are adults, and we are not here for other teachers or the administration, we are here for the students and the students only.

So, to answer the question: "Why do I teach?" Well, it's actually very simple...,but first let me say this, I am the product of a broken home, raised primarily by my father. I'm not from the city, I'm from a county suburb. However, I have spent a lot of time in the city growing up visiting with family and my college is in the middle of East Baltimore, where it gets pretty real as soon as you step off of the side walk. In addition to that I have seen a lot and done a lot all across the country, as well as having enriching careers that have taught me a lot usable physical and critical thinking skills. And that little tangent <laughing> IS actually why I teach and where I teach, because I know first hand what lies before our inner city youth; and because they may not have a male figure in there life to share those experiences so they can have a good idea of how to handle things (and have a conscious) to guide them through life and provide an education at the same time. Huh, and you know what? I will now and forever take that role.

So, why do you teach...?

Respectfully yours,

B.

2 comments:

  1. Bryan,
    I am in my second week of classes in going back to school to get my Masters in Education so that I can teach. In making this decision, I have been asked many times why I want to be a teacher. My answer is very similar to yours - because I want to make a difference that will last a lifetime.

    You made a comment about being "here for the students and the students only." I agree. The school I am attending, having been Christian-based, lists one of the roles of educators as being a Servant-Leader, which is how I equate the role of a teacher. Our vocation is to assist the students in their success. The process is not about teachers, it is about what we, as teachers, bring to the classroom and how we can assist our students in being more successful.

    ~Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach because I make a difference. I can show kids that they are valuable, loved, intelligent and capable of succeeding. I spent 30 years teaching in the inner city. It was often hard, the conditions terrible, little support from anyone, but worthwhile.

    I moved to another state and have been teaching in a blue collar school and much to my surprise have found just as many students with the same problems and they need support just as much. Good teachers will also make a difference.

    ReplyDelete